The project “Green Technology Foresight about challenges from biotechnology and ICT – Digit-BioTech” 2019-1-BG01-KA203-062371 is co-funded by ERASMUS+ programme of the European Union.
HOW DO WE – AT THE DIGIT-BIOTECH CONSORTIUM – ENJOY THE ADVANTAGES AND ADDRESS THE CHALLENGES?
“Bad times have a scientific value. These are occasions a good learner would not miss.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson
The Digit-BioTech takes the opportunity to broaden horizons in biology and biotechnology education through:
- Building a bridge between digital technology and biotechnology by integrating environmental and innovation training.
- Developing an innovative training programme in the field of biotechnology and ICT.
- Exercising novel ways of learning and training.
- Encouraging collaborative work between three universities, two SMEs, and one R&D Centers from five European countries: Bulgaria, Greece, Italy, and Germany – a consortium whose members understand the need to shift the educational policy from “knowledge” to “competence”.
- Stimulating broad intersectoral, interinstitutional and intermodal activities.
The Digit-BioTech addresses the challenges by:
- Answering the needs for development of excellence and specific digital skills in higher education.
- Introducing innovative content and structure into the higher education institutions.
- Improving the education and competence of the target groups, esp. the skills of those that need to work with digital tools.
- Introducing bioinnovations for sustainable development into the biotechnology sector.
I. A comprehensive digital educational platform hosting Intellectual Outputs, designed as learning outcomes:
Open Content Platform, an innovative tool using blended learning approach for a self-paced free online education in the field of ICT for green biotechnology.
Learning Area & Reference Model (LARM) for development of a training programme using a new methodology which employs Learning Outcomes (LOs) and Blended Learning Pathways (BLPs).
The Guide “Teaching and Learning in Higher Education” targeted at the educational professionals and offering both the essentials of effective higher education teaching and guidelines of how to use the web platform.
A Students Smart Kit for BSc/MSc students which describes the strategies for effective learning.
II. Strategic measures for project management and administration.
III. Seven multiplier events (workshops) and activities for popularization of the Digit-BioTech training programme and deliverables.
IV. Five transnational project meetings.
These products make the Digit-BioTech consortium a leader in innovations through:
- Defining the applications of digital technologies in biotechnology.
- Creating a virtual space and educational content, enriched with visual elements and simulations.
- Applying the requirements of the European Qualification Framework and National Qualification Frameworks and the principles of higher education to provide the needed technical competence and skills to the target groups.
- Supporting the innovative potential of digital technologies and their effect on the green industry.
The Digit-BioTech steps on a number of stones such as:
- A review of the best examples of applications of digital technologies in education to create a guide focused on the best pedagogical and ICT-based practices in higher education.
- Involvement of the students in the learning process as learners, collaborators and team members to increase their capabilities to learn more easily and effectively.
- Equipment of the students with the necessary knowledge and skills while allowing them to master the learning process on their own.
- Targeting academic professionals and university graduates who need expert education and working competencies in ICT and digital technologies.
The Digit-BioTech delivers long-term impact by:
- Implementation of the Digit-BioTech outputs into the national educational systems at educational institutions and in-company training departments.
- Supporting the capacity of the higher education institutions to build up employability.
- Mobilizing science and technology and foster capacity for innovation.
- Improving the social, economic, and environmental sustainability.